Wednesday, June 29, 2011

"You're a Perkes, and Perkes can do hard things"

Following my recent resolution to do hard things, I spent two weeks tirelessly not practicing the piano.  I spent hours and hours putting it off, rationalizing, and generally forgetting.  Everyday I woke up and went right to not practicing the piano.  I could not possibly have spent more time not practicing piano, and so after two weeks, I can definitively say that I have not learned a piece of music.

The problem, you see, is there are just too many things I want to do, and not enough time to do all of them.  And sure, I suppose I could spend less time working, or bike riding (either to and from working, or otherwise), or napping to recover from said working and bike riding, or playing games and watching movies with friends to make my days more than just working, bike riding, and napping; but the fact is, I enjoy all those things much more than the prospect of sitting by myself in my room knocking out some piano piece just so that I can post about it on my blog.

Instead, here's the last seven days, by the numbers:

Hours spent working outside: 14
Hours spent working inside: 19.1
Hours spent biking: 5
Avg. Hours of sleep per day: 7
Missionaries taught: 12
Other people taught: 10
Avg. sports played per day (including bike riding): 1.57
Unique Games (of the indoor board/card variety) played: 7
Most people in my house playing werewolf at one time: 18
Highest Bowling Score: 169
Lowest Bowling Score 79
Smors Eaten: 3
Average number of Yogurt cups eaten per day: 1.67
Sandwiches consumed: ≥20
Episodes of Power Rangers watched: 3
Temperature inside house last night at midnight: 86 degrees F
Dollars spent today on box fan: 5.35

I would still like to do hard things, but I have to choose things that I can do that don't require so much dedicated time that can happen incidental to my normal fun life.

No comments:

Post a Comment