Monday, September 5, 2011

A friday of astronomical proportions

I've had some good days recently, and they've been good in a sort of beautifully full and symmetrical way, let's take friday for example:

Friday started off well, I got plenty of sleep and got up at 8 to go to my multivariable calculus class.  I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't start off a perfect day with calculus, but I enjoy it.  I had sometime to relax before I went of to Biology, where we talk about Darwin and all sorts of interesting things.  Then I came home for some lunch, and then back up for chemistry.  So far, there hasn't really been anything all that special about the day, but it's still only 2 o'clock, bear with me.  So after chemistry I go to my Bio lab, which is on my schedule as about 3 hours.  I wasn't sure what it actually was, but it turns out I get to dissect stuff.  How cool is that?  I've been promised dissection all my life, but haven't gotten to cut anything open since third grade when I got to "dissect" owl pellets.  Really, that hardly counts as dissection, since there were no knives or cutting.  It's more like di-pull apart a big feathery hairball to find a couple bones-ion.  So that was the first best news I had all day, and then it turns out we get out of class after half an hour, after playing around with a microscope for a bit, so I end up with a whole lot more day than I'd though.  I went home.  Oh, lest we forget, the neurology department was giving out free hotdogs, and because i got out of class so early I beat the line of hundreds of people that developed shortly afterwards.

Lets review: So far we have dissection, microscope, getting out of class early, and free lunch.  Moving on.

So about a week ago I learned that there'd be a super nova; so all through the day I'd been texting people to try to find binoculars or a telescope or something to see this supernova that was dubbed the supernova of a generation.  I was having no luck with anyone, and so when I got to come home early, I went to DI, which is basically my favorite store.  After 2 very unhelpful workers who pointed me in two very incorrect directions, I asked someone else who pointed me to the collectibles.  Why binoculars qualify as 'collectible' isn't exactly clear to me, except that being in a glass case keeps them from being ruined by greasy little kids so that a college student can find them and use them for his date of the generation.  I found this very respectable pair of binoculars for ten dollars (having been marked down from twenty some time before)  I wasn't entirely convinced that this would be enough to see something that happened 23 million light years away, but it was better than nothing.  I also found a great pair of shorts and Clue, the game, for 7 dollars total.  One of my better DI runs for sure.  So I got back, ate some food, relaxed a bit, figured out how to spot the supernova, and got ready for work, at 6:30.  Work was great.  The MTC is a good place to work, and occasionally days are really really good.  This was a really good day.  So after work, I figured out a place to go, and we rode up to big springs hollow with a blanket and my DInoculars.  The sky was beautiful.  Truly amazing, and we totally saw the supernova. It certainly wasn't the most impressive thing i've ever seen, but the fact that we were looking at an exploding star, and something that happened 23 million years ago, was sort of profound.  Plus we saw a bunch of shooting stars and just general milky-way awesomeness.  So yeah, it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment