Monday, December 27, 2010

Three French Hens

I started working on a christmas post a few days ago, but then i got distracted by Christmas. Christmas was awesome, and I got everything I wanted. My parents are the best. I'm hoping next christmas I'll have some spare money and actually be able to get people stuff. I feel like sort of a spoiled punk.

Life is pretty great, I'd say. This whole Macbook thing is awesome. I have to say it is every bit as good as all the mac fans made it sound, and I don't regret spending a few extra hundreds on a computer that works and makes me happy when I use it. Today I was playing with GarageBand, which is just super fun.

In other news, BYU Takeoff in T-minus 4 days. That's intense. We were talking about where we want to be a year from now. This is going to be a big year. I could be engaged in a year. It's not like it's on my goal sheet, but it's not entirely unlikely. That just blows my mind.

My goal for this year is to kick butt in college (that is to say work hard and get A's and get a scholarship so I don't have to be so pobrezinho.). I want to know what my Major is, and I'd love to know what my career will be. But either way, looking forward, I know life is going to be so completely different from what it has been for the past couple years.

As I was coming to the end of my mission, I came to the surprising realization that all that was left was real life. All my life I've had mission as a sort of buffer between me and the rest of life. That was the plan: Get through high school, get into college, go on a mission. The rest came after.

So now all that's left is the rest, and now that i'm getting a look at this 'rest,' I'm realizing how intimidating it is. There are some big choices to make. Just figuring out what I'm going to do for the rest of my life is (as you might expect) going to have a big effect. Then this whole marriage thing. That's even bigger. You can retire from your career, or you can change careers, and you can retire, but there aren't many decisions that are as long lasting or influential as marriage. Even things like getting money and finding a place to live and cooking and such suddenly seem so much more real. I'm going to have to get health insurance, and a bank account, and do my taxes.

In short, adulthood. It really creeps up on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment