Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Time is Here

Christmas doesn't feel quite the same this year. When I was younger, i would make an itemized list of roughly a thousand things i wanted, in order of importance. On Christmas I would never know which of those things i'd get. It was always a big surprise when i opened my Gameboy, or a Puppy, or a bowling pin and a gallon of water.

This Christmas, I already know what about all my presents are going to be, because i've already chosen and purchased them, I'm missing the mystery and anticipation. But we'll see, my parents are pretty crafty.

I guess this Christmas is sort of a weird one though, because i had a couple, rather expensive things, that I needed and wanted very badly. I guess next year i could go back to wanting lots of small things. It's not like i've matured all that much.

In related news, I bought a MacBook! I think Mac owners are so funny. It feels like I'm joining either a very exclusive society, or a support group. People are so happy, congratulating me and saying I won't regret it. Choosing a computer is not generally cause for congratulations. That said, I am super excited to have a Mac, which should arrive on tuesday, just in time to open it four days before Christmas. Just that fact that there's a box in Newark, NJ with my Macbook inside is somehow empowering. I've been debating whether or not it was worth it for several weeks now. Yesterday I was looking at it, and told my mom how much it would cost me, and she said, "great, get it." So I did. It's funny because it's not like she was saying, "great, i'll buy it for you." but apparently that afirmation was the tiny push i needed. It was sort of frightening how easy it was to spend over a thousand dolllars that i don't have, but I got a low interest loan from The Parents' Bank, and they are good creditors.

Yesterday I played a duet with Isaac in his piano recital. It was the first time I performed in a real recital setting since i graduated high school. It made me remember all the recitals and concerts and festivals I did. I really do miss piano. That's what i realized yesterday. So once again I have these vague plans of getting back into the habit of practicing and learning new pieces. Hopefully it will stick this time. I don't want to add piano to the list of things I used to do well and now do marginally ok.

~The Pianist, Consumerist, Happiest Me

No comments:

Post a Comment