Saturday, November 16, 2013

Looking for Walden

The view, walking out of my programming midterm.
Today it rained, and it was cold. My helmet got wet, and my hands were dying.  Like most other days, I spent hours underground in the most depressing building on campus. Opening the door to one of the most beautiful sunsets I've seen in Utah was a nice moment.

Ordinarily I try to stay busy doing things I enjoy and look for joy in between.  This semester hasn't really left many opportunities to do the things I love, but I am still managing to find some good times in between.

For the first time in my life I'm enjoying walking.  I've always enjoyed what I'm doing so much that wasting time either before or after whatever I was doing to walk someplace always seemed unreasonable, but in my current life of stressful things walking is an island of reflection in a sea of business busyness.

This semester has been an interesting view into what a busy, stressful, work-filled life looks like.  I don't like it, and I don't understand why anyone would choose such a life. This is the life that Thoreau was escaping from. I think what I am getting at here is life is far too short to waste it doing something you don't enjoy, and there are far too many things out there to enjoy to trudge along, being busy without doing anything meaningful.

That's really all.  Whatever you're doing, I hope you enjoy it. And regardless of how much you enjoy it, I hope you're doing something in between to put some joy in your life.  If not, you might consider rock climbing.  It's one of a few things that are keeping me sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment